Shareholders of Oppenheimer Holdings Inc (OPY) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.6% annualized dividend yield can sell the June covered call at the $17.50 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.15 bid, which annualizes to an additional 20.8% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 23.4% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $17.50 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but OPY shares would have to advance 3.2% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 10% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Oppenheimer Holdings Inc, looking at the dividend history chart for OPY below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2.6% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing OPY's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $17.50 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the June covered call at the $17.50 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $17.50. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Oppenheimer Holdings Inc (considering the last 253 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $17.00) to be 38%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the OPY Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.
HOST // Robert Powell
Retirement Planning Event
More from Stocks
Jim Cramer: The IPO Whistle Stop Tour, From Levi Strauss to Uber to AirBnB
Here is how the current IPO lifecycle will play out, with stops for Lyft and Pinterest.
Nike, Boeing, Uber, Weak European Manufacturing Data - 5 Things You Must Know
U.S. futures are sharply lower Friday after a private sector reading of economic activity in Europe slumps to its weakest level in seven years; Nike declines after the athletic apparel giant posts weaker-than-expected fiscal third-quarter sales in North America; Indonesia's national airline seeks to cancel an order for 49 Boeing MAX jets.
Boeing Faces $6B 737 MAX Cancellation; Garuda Indonesia Rethinks 49-Jet Order
Boeing may lose a $6 billion order for its 737 MAX 8 after Indonesia's national airline moved to cancel or amend a previous agreement for the controversial aircraft as the fallout from two fatal crashes deepens for the world's biggest planemaker.