Shareholders of Gold Resource Corp (GORO - Get Report) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 0.4% annualized dividend yield can sell the June covered call at the $7.50 strike and collect the premium based on the 25 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 11.3% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 11.7% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $7.50 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but GORO shares would have to advance 44.5% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 49.3% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Gold Resource Corp, looking at the dividend history chart for GORO below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 0.4% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing GORO's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $7.50 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the June covered call at the $7.50 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $7.50. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Gold Resource Corp (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $5.22) to be 82%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the GORO Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.
More from Stocks
The Case for a Rate Cut: Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap (Thursday 8/22/19)
Jim Cramer asks: If the consumer is so strong, what the heck is the case for a rate cut? He's got all the reasons for the Fed to take preemptive action.
Salesforce Execs Discuss M&A Vision, Merging 'Organic and Inorganic' Growth
Revenue growth from Salesforce's organic development and from acquisitions can work in harmony together, executives said on the company's latest earnings call.
Carbon Black Led Security Stocks Thursday Ahead of Acquisition Announcement
Losers topped gainers in the security software industry Thursday.