Shareholders of Alamo Group, Inc. (ALG - Get Report) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 0.5% annualized dividend yield can sell the June 2017 covered call at the $85 strike and collect the premium based on the $3.50 bid, which annualizes to an additional 8.9% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 9.4% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $85 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but ALG shares would have to climb 12.7% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 17.4% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Alamo Group, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for ALG below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 0.5% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing ALG's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $85 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the June 2017 covered call at the $85 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $85. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Alamo Group, Inc. (considering the last 253 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $76.09) to be 27%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the ALG Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com. In mid-afternoon trading on Thursday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 829,660 contracts, with call volume at 1.49M, for a put:call ratio of 0.56 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are showing a preference for calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.
TheStreet’s Fundamentals of Investing Course will teach you the keys to making the right decisions in any market.
TheStreet’s Personal Finance Essentials Course will teach you money management basics and investing strategies to help you avoid major financial pitfalls.
TheStreet Courses offers dedicated classes designed to improve your investing skills, stock market knowledge and money management capabilities.
More from Stocks
Ask Cramer: Cisco vs. CVS, Which Stock is Better for Your Portfolio?
Should investors consider adding Cisco to their portfolio? Jim Cramer weighs in TheStreet's new video segment, #AskCramer
Jim Cramer Unveils His 5 Rules for Trading Stocks During Earnings Season
Jim tells members of his Action Alerts PLUS club for investors what to look for when earnings reports come in.
Pinterest vs. Zoom vs. Lyft: Which Tech IPO Should You Choose? -- ICYMI
Zoom is profitable already but has a very lofty valuation, while Pinterest has some clear advantages over Lyft but one big con.
Comcast Regains Its Swagger in a Brutal New Era of Streaming
Customers have a love/hate relationship with the cable TV industry because of continuously rising prices and poor customer service. The flip side is that cable TV, as a product, works, and Comcast can exploit that like no other.