As part of ongoing diversity efforts, University of Phoenix recently released results from a survey conducted on their behalf by Morning Consult. The results shed light on Americans' lack of awareness of transgender issues in the workplace and beyond.Highlights include:
- Sixty-seven percent of respondents say they do not personally know a transgender person.
- Only one in 10 respondents indicated that their company has a leave policy for transitioning employees.
- When asked to consider whether their employers might support adopting such a policy, half of respondents indicated they did not know how their company's leadership would feel.
- Just 19 percent of those polled would support paid leave for transitioning coworkers.
- An additional 24 percent would support unpaid leave, with no extra benefits, while 32 percent do not believe transgender employees should get any time off at all when transitioning.