- Make sure the flue is open on your fireplace just in case you decide to light the hearth. The ventilation keeps carbon monoxide from entering your home.
- Create a household emergency plan and share it with house guests.
- Install or check carbon monoxide detectors to warn when carbon monoxide concentration levels are high.
- As of 2011, all California single-family homes are required to have carbon monoxide detectors.
- Make sure all carbon monoxide detectors are installed near sleeping areas and common areas.
- Replace the batteries at least twice a year.
- Check expiration dates - most carbon monoxide detectors have a shelf life of five to seven years.
The number of residential fires on Thanksgiving is more than double the average of all other days of the year combined, with 72 percent caused by cooking. Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) reminds customers to take a few extra precautions to stay safe. 1. Have a kitchen fire extinguisher handy, and never use water on a grease fire. 2. Start with a clean oven and stovetop to reduce the risk of a grease fire. 3. Clear the range from anything flammable, including dish towels, pot holders, packaging and recipe cards. 4. Don't leave an operating stovetop unattended, especially if frying, grilling or broiling. 5. Supervise children in the kitchen and make sure nothing is hanging from the stove that would tempt young hands. 6. Check the connections to all appliances. Cooking is by far the leading cause of residential fires on Thanksgiving—more cooking fires occur on this holiday than any other day of the year. Another nine percent are caused by heating sources such as fireplaces and space heaters. PG&E reminds customers never to heat your home with an oven or stove. In addition to being fire hazards, they lack the proper venting and could cause carbon monoxide to build up to life-threatening levels. As you prepare for company, add a few more tasks to your to-do list: