(NASDAQ:AMZN)-The debut episode of the highly anticipated new Amazon Original Series, The Grand Tour, has become the biggest show premiere ever on Amazon Prime Video, with millions of Prime members streaming the first episode in the U.S., U.K., Germany, Austria and Japan over the opening weekend. Viewership has even exceeded that of the previous number one show, The Man in The High Castle. Additionally, the day The Grand Tour debuted, total new Prime membership sign-ups exceeded all previous days with the exception of Amazon's renowned Prime Day. The Grand Tour is also receiving unprecedented customer and critical acclaim with the show being the top rated TV show or movie on IMDb, the world's most popular source of movie and TV data, with an overall rating of 9.6 and over 10,000 votes. The show is rated 4.9 out of 5 stars by more than 15,000 customers on Amazon, and currently has a score of 97% on Rotten Tomatoes. "The guys are back, doing what they do best - the chemistry between Jeremy, Richard and James is what makes The Grand Tour so entertaining," said Jeff Bezos, Chief Executive Officer of Amazon. "Their creativity, along with the amazing production quality and 4K HDR streaming, has Prime members responding in a big way. Kudos and congrats to the whole team." The first episode of The Grand Tour was released at 00.01 GMT on Friday 18 th November, and customers immediately started tweeting their thoughts on the blockbuster opening episode:
- @annoyingracefan: I'm more excited about @thegrandtour than I am the birth of my child. I don't have any kids but I am sure you know what I mean.
- @DannyAllenUK: That intro sequence for @thegrandtour has to be one of the most emotion/beautiful and expensive sequences I've ever seen on a TV show.
- @TransAmPatrick: I'm crying. Why am I crying? What's going on here? I'm in a glass case of emotion! #TheGrandTour
- @BTMcLeod: Started the first episode of @thegrandtour and I can't remember the last time I was this happy to see 3 middle aged dudes.
- @Tom__Berry: I'm only 3 minutes in and I can already tell that @thegrandtour is the best thing on TV this year.
In addition to the unprecedented customer response, The Grand Tour has received outstanding critical acclaim from media around the world:
- "A brilliant beautiful spectacle." Guardian
- "Between the gear head banter and intoxicating visuals, The Grand Tour makes for a sweet escape from the real world we all live in." New York Post
- "The trio's chemistry remains as brilliant as ever." The Independent
- "Fans are over the moon." Mail Online
- "The Grand Tour is stunningly beautiful." The London Evening Standard
- "The Grand Tour is this year's most eagerly-anticipated TV show. And, judging by the reaction to its Thursday debut, it's fair to say that The Grand Tour is a critical and commercial success. Together, both viewers and reviewers flooded social media after the first episode aired on Amazon Prime, and they were unified in their praise." Daily Mirror
- "They've sort of somehow come up with the world's first scripted comedy factual show, and it works perfectly." Digital Spy
- "Critics and fans welcome Jeremy Clarkson and co back with open arms." Newsweek
- Prime Video: Thousands of movies and TV shows, including popular licensed content plus critically-acclaimed and award-winning Amazon Original Series and Movies from Amazon Studios like Transparent, The Man in the High Castle, Love & Friendship and kids series Tumble Leaf, available for unlimited streaming as part of an Amazon Prime membership
- Amazon Channels: Over 80 video subscriptions to networks like SHOWTIME, STARZ and more, available to Amazon Prime members as add-ons to their membership
- Rent or Own: Hundreds of thousands of titles, including new-release movies and current TV shows available for on-demand rental or purchase for all Amazon customers
- Instant Access: Instantly watch anytime, anywhere through the Amazon Video app on TVs, mobile devices, Amazon Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, and Fire tablets, or online. For a list of all compatible devices visit www.amazon.com/howtostream
- Premium Features: Top features like 4K Ultra HD, High Dynamic Range (HDR) and mobile downloads for offline viewing