YieldBoost KMG Chemicals To 10.5% Using Options

Shareholders of KMG Chemicals, Inc. ( KMG) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 0.4% annualized dividend yield can sell the June 2017 covered call at the $35 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.85 bid, which annualizes to an additional 10.1% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 10.5% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $35 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but KMG shares would have to climb 11.8% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 17.7% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of KMG Chemicals, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for KMG below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 0.4% annualized dividend yield.

KMG+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing KMG's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $35 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2016+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the June 2017 covered call at the $35 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $35. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for KMG Chemicals, Inc. (considering the last 253 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $31.17) to be 43%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the KMG Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

In mid-afternoon trading on Tuesday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 884,104 contracts, with call volume at 1.50M, for a put:call ratio of 0.59 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are showing a preference for calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

If you liked this article you might like

Facebook, Apple and Alphabet Are Actually Cheap Here, Jim Cramer Says

Facebook, Apple and Alphabet Are Actually Cheap Here, Jim Cramer Says

The Stock Market Isn't Stupid High: Market Recon

The Stock Market Isn't Stupid High: Market Recon

Insider Trading Alert - KMG, FSIC And HA Traded By Insiders

Insider Trading Alert - KMG, FSIC And HA Traded By Insiders

Insider Trading Alert - KMG, TCPC And WDC Traded By Insiders

Insider Trading Alert - KMG, TCPC And WDC Traded By Insiders

Insider Trading Alert - KMG, EGP, And MUX Traded By Insiders

Insider Trading Alert - KMG, EGP, And MUX Traded By Insiders