|Segment||October 2016||October 2015||Change||% Change|
|North American Operations||134,939||137,632||(2,693)||(2.0%)|
|Total G&W Operations||245,344||257,209||(11,865)||(4.6%)|
- North American Operations: Traffic in October 2016 was 134,939 carloads, a decrease of 2.0% compared with October 2015. The decrease was primarily due to reduced minerals & stone traffic, partially offset by increased coal & coke traffic.
- Australian Operations: Traffic in October 2016 was 14,153 carloads, an increase of 2.6% compared with October 2015. The increase was primarily due to increased agricultural products traffic, partially offset by reduced metallic ores traffic.
- U.K./European Operations: Traffic in October 2016 was 96,252 carloads, a decrease of 9.0% compared with October 2015. The decrease was primarily due to lower than expected intermodal and minerals & stone traffic.
|North American Operations:||October 2016||October 2015||Change||% Change|
|Autos & Auto Parts||2,684||1,856||828||44.6%|
|Chemicals & Plastics||14,628||15,092||(464)||(3.1%)|
|Coal & Coke||20,737||19,323||1,414||7.3%|
|Food & Kindred Products||5,661||5,436||225||4.1%|
|Lumber & Forest Products||11,468||12,262||(794)||(6.5%)|
|Minerals & Stone||17,420||19,712||(2,292)||(11.6%)|
|Pulp & Paper||12,643||14,130||(1,487)||(10.5%)|
- North American Operations traffic decreased 2,693 carloads, or 2.0%.
- Minerals & stone traffic decreased 2,292 carloads, or 11.6%, primarily due to decreased shipments of rock salt and frac sand in G&W's Northeast Region.
- Other commodity group traffic decreased 1,903 carloads, or 28.9%, primarily due to decreased shipments of empty car traffic in G&W's Central, Northeast and Canada regions.
- Pulp & paper traffic decreased 1,487 carloads, or 10.5%, primarily due to decreased shipments in G&W's Southern, Northeast and Canada regions.
- Coal & Coke traffic increased 1,414 carloads, or 7.3%, primarily due to increased shipments in G&W's Midwest Region.
- All remaining traffic increased by a net 1,575 carloads.
|Australian Operations:||October 2016||October 2015||Change||% Change|
|Minerals & Stone||5,644||5,413||231||4.3%|
- Australian Operations traffic decreased 354 carloads, or 2.6%
- Agricultural products traffic increased 546 carloads, or 33.6%.
- Metallic ores traffic decreased 425 carloads, or 25.5%, primarily due to the previously announced closure of a manganese mine in 2015, partially offset by the short-term re-opening of an iron ore mine in 2016.
|U.K./European Operations:||October 2016||October 2015||Change||% Change|
|Coal & Coke||4,138||5,180||(1,042)||(20.1%)|
|Lumber & Forest Products||158||-||158||NM|
|Minerals & Stone||14,338||17,463||(3,125)||(17.9%)|
- U.K./European Operations traffic decreased 9,526 carloads, or 9.0%.
- Intermodal traffic decreased 5,904 carloads, or 7.1%, primarily due to decreased shipments in continental Europe due to service cancellations and low utilization of services and in the U.K. due to port congestion.
- Minerals & stone traffic decreased 3,125 carloads, or 17.9%, primarily due to decreased shipments in the U.K. and Poland.
- All remaining traffic decreased by a net 497 carloads.