- MICHIGAN : Detroit Free Press
- OHIO: Cincinnati Enquirer
- FLORIDA: Fort Myers News-Press, Tallahassee Democrat and Naples Daily News
- IOWA: The Des Moines Register
- WISCONSIN: The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Chicago's Sun-Times, which has struggled to reverse declining circulation and advertising sales, nevertheless could be the object of a bidding war, as a Edwin Eisendrath-headed group has offered $15 million.
As rules on station ownership have loosened, Tegna is the biggest potential target around.
It looked like Michael Ferro was on the verge of owning both of Chicago's dailies. Now, with an earnest DOJ in the way, he may have hit a roadblock.
Tronc, owner of the Chicago Tribune, is eager to acquire the Sun-Times.