- Evaluating and renegotiating pharmacy contracts to obtain better pricing. Today, 63% of employers do this; another 31% are planning or considering this by 2018.
- Ensuring appropriate utilization. Today, 61% of employers have added programs to ensure appropriate use of prescription drugs, up from 53% in 2015; 85% are considering doing so by 2018.
- Restricting or excluding the use of certain drugs when equally effective, lower-cost alternatives are available. For example, 52% of employers exclude compound drugs; another 13% are considering this action by 2018.
- Evaluating specialty drug spend through the medical benefit instead of the pharmacy benefit. Today, 39% of employers have adopted this strategy, up from 26% in 2015; 82% will consider it by 2018.
- Making changes to coverage to influence where and how specialty drugs are administered. Today, 19% of employers have made such changes; another 43% are considering them for 2018.
- Establishing different copays for specialty drugs to promote the use of lower-cost alternatives such as biosimilars. Today, 18% of employers have done this, a number that could triple over the next two years.
A bout the surveyThe annual Willis Towers Watson Best Practices in Health Care Employer Survey was completed by 600 U.S. employers between June and July 2016 and reflects respondents' 2016 health program decisions and strategies, and in some cases, their 2017 and 2018 plans. Respondents collectively employ 12.2 million full-time employees and operate in all major industry sectors. About Willis Towers Watson Willis Towers Watson (NASDAQ:WLTW) is a leading global advisory, broking and solutions company that helps clients around the world turn risk into a path for growth. With roots dating to 1828, Willis Towers Watson has 39,000 employees in more than 120 countries. We design and deliver solutions that manage risk, optimize benefits, cultivate talent and expand the power of capital to protect and strengthen institutions and individuals. Our unique perspective allows us to see the critical intersections between talent, assets and ideas — the dynamic formula that drives business performance. Together, we unlock potential. Learn more at willistowerswatson.com.
Media contactRob Wyse: +1 212 920 email@example.com