- Trial on Sonera's commercial network demonstrates huge potential of 4G using NB-IoT technology to support billions of IoT-connected devices
- World's first connection of a roaming device over a commercial network using NB-IoT
- Data transferred from devices using Sonera's 4G commercial network in the 800 Mhz frequency band to maximize coverage and device support
- Trial reaffirms Nokia's leadership in developing technology to support IoT and the programmable world
CTO Jari Collin of Sonera, said: "In Finland, we have a long tradition of developing and applying new technologies. The trial shows how the use of today's mobile technology will fuel the continued growth of the IoT ecosystem to transform every aspect of our customers' business and personal lives."Adolfo Masini, head of IoT connectivity at Nokia, said: "Support for the programmable world, in which billions of people, devices and things are connected via high-capacity networks, is the cornerstone of Nokia's strategy. Our strengths in networks, cloud, applications, analytics and security, and our 5G leadership, make Nokia the most qualified to deliver the full potential of IoT. Nokia is constantly developing innovative technologies that allow our customers to evolve their offerings. This trial will lay the foundation for an IoT ecosystem in Finland, and allow Sonera to exploit the massive opportunities that it brings." Did you know
- NB-IoT is a 3GPP Rel. 13 radio access technology designed especially for enabling cellular connectivity to Internet of Things devices. The enhanced coverage of NB-IoT compared to conventional LTE will allow for the tracking of objects deep within buildings and in rural areas.
- NB-IoT will co-exist with operators' existing networks to benefit from mobile security and privacy features. All major network infrastructure, component and device manufacturers support the standard.
- Nokia has defined a path to 5G that allows operators to take advantage of major increases in speed and capacity where and when they need it using 4.5G, 4.5G Pro and 4.9G technologies.