About 75 passengers on Southwest Airlines' (LUV - Get Report) Flight 994 from Louisville to Baltimore were forced to evacuate Wednesday at the Louisville International Airport after a Samsung phone burst into flames. Smoke and a strange smell were detected at 9:14 am in the cabin while the plane was loading to take off.
Details from the event are still trickling in, but no one was injured.
Last month, the U.S Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) urged in a statement that "all consumers who own a Samsung Galaxy Note7 to power them down and stop charging or using the device," warning serious consequences when lithium-ion batteries overheat and burst.
No juries were reported but there was minor damage to the carpet on the plane where the device was dropped.
News anchor Rachel Platt was one of the first to tweet about the cause of the incident:
Metro Arson confirming it was a Samsung phone that overheated, leading to smoke in the cabin on a Southwest Flight at Louisville Int'l- Rachel Platt (@whas11rachel) October 5, 2016
Passengers were said to be "very calm" during the evacuation according to WDRB News.
The news comes the same day that two affiliates of activist investor Elliott Management's Paul Singer on Wednesday launched a campaign against Samsung Electronics, urging the technology company to restructure, issue a special cash dividend and list a unit on Nasdaq.
Samsung Electronics shareholders Blake Capital LLC and Potter Capital LLC, both units of Elliott Management, sent a letter to Samsung directors with a series of proposals, urging the South Korea-based multinational electronics company--which trades on the Korea Exchange--to restructure, return capital and improve its governance.