- TYC has 17x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 2.29 mentions/day.
- TYC has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $163.7 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in TYC with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for TYC NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on TYC: Tyco International plc provides security products and services, fire detection and suppression products and services, and life safety products worldwide. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 2%. TYC has a PE ratio of 4. Currently there are 5 analysts that rate Tyco International a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 4 rate it a hold. The average volume for Tyco International has been 3.4 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Tyco International has a market cap of $19.5 billion and is part of the services sector and diversified services industry. The stock has a beta of 0.89 and a short float of 2.2% with 1.91 days to cover. Shares are up 42.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Tyco International as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its expanding profit margins, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and solid stock price performance. We feel its strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- 40.37% is the gross profit margin for TYCO INTERNATIONAL PLC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 6.26% trails the industry average.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is somewhat low, currently at 0.62, and is less than that of the industry average, implying that there has been a relatively successful effort in the management of debt levels. Despite the fact that TYC's debt-to-equity ratio is low, the quick ratio, which is currently 0.67, displays a potential problem in covering short-term cash needs.
- TYCO INTERNATIONAL PLC's earnings per share declined by 23.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern of earnings per share over the past year. However, we anticipate this trend reversing over the coming year. During the past fiscal year, TYCO INTERNATIONAL PLC reported lower earnings of $1.44 versus $1.69 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.06 versus $1.44).
- TYC, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 6.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 4.0%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- Looking at where the stock is today compared to one year ago, we find that it is not only higher, but it has also clearly outperformed the rise in the S&P 500 over the same period, despite the company's weak earnings results. The stock's price rise over the last year has driven it to a level which is somewhat expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- You can view the full Tyco International Ratings Report.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE.