- EMC has more that 20x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 5.03 mentions/day.
- EMC has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $377.3 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in EMC with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for EMC NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on EMC: EMC Corporation develops, delivers, and supports information infrastructure and virtual infrastructure technologies, solutions, and services. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 1.7%. EMC has a PE ratio of 27. Currently there are 9 analysts that rate EMC a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 16 rate it a hold. The average volume for EMC has been 11.9 million shares per day over the past 30 days. EMC has a market cap of $53.8 billion and is part of the technology sector and computer hardware industry. The stock has a beta of 0.99 and a short float of 0.9% with 1.09 days to cover. Shares are up 7.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates EMC as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in net income, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Computers & Peripherals industry average. The net income increased by 6.3% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $252.00 million to $268.00 million.
- EMC's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.30 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.13, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- The stock has not only risen over the past year, it has done so at a faster pace than the S&P 500, reflecting the earnings growth and other positive factors similar to those we have cited here. Looking ahead, the stock's rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry, implying reduced upside potential.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $932.00 million or 13.70% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite a decrease in cash flow EMC CORP/MA is still fairing well by exceeding its industry average cash flow growth rate of -39.15%.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. In comparison to the other companies in the Computers & Peripherals industry and the overall market, EMC CORP/MA's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full EMC Ratings Report.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE.