- NRG has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $95.0 million.
- NRG has traded 1.8 million shares today.
- NRG is trading at 5.29 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- NRG is trading at a new low 8.04% below yesterday's close.
'Weak on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as material stock news, analyst downgrades, insider selling, selling from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and traders are piling out of a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize (or avoid losses by trimming weak positions). In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in NRG with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for NRG NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on NRG: NRG Energy, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, operates as a power company. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 0.7%. Currently there are 6 analysts that rate NRG Energy a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold. The average volume for NRG Energy has been 5.7 million shares per day over the past 30 days. NRG Energy has a market cap of $5.6 billion and is part of the utilities sector and utilities industry. The stock has a beta of 1.11 and a short float of 6.3% with 3.06 days to cover. Shares are up 51.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates NRG Energy as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in net income, good cash flow from operations and growth in earnings per share. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including generally higher debt management risk, disappointing return on equity and a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Independent Power Producers & Energy Traders industry. The net income increased by 168.3% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$120.00 million to $82.00 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 113.07% to $554.00 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, NRG ENERGY INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -48.11%.
- NRG ENERGY INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, NRG ENERGY INC swung to a loss, reporting -$20.31 versus $0.21 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.39 versus -$20.31).
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 6.32 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. Along with the unfavorable debt-to-equity ratio, NRG maintains a poor quick ratio of 0.74, which illustrates the inability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Independent Power Producers & Energy Traders industry and the overall market, NRG ENERGY INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full NRG Energy Ratings Report.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE.