- Macroeconomic conditions will improve, and global markets will appreciate: 73% of Millennials anticipate that the U.S. economy will improve, and a majority expect U.S. and non-U.S. equity markets to rise (74% and 56%, respectively)
- Alternative investments are appealing: 83% of Millennials are open to a broader approach to investing, including alternative strategies, compared to only 52% of investors over age 35. (For the purposes of this study, alternative strategies were defined as investments other than traditional stocks, bonds, or cash - e.g., hedge funds, private equity, real estate funds, or other non-traditional investments). In addition, while more than half of Millennials currently invest in alternative strategies, 69% wish they knew more about the benefits of alternative investing, and 70% believe that a "liquid alternative" mutual fund would benefit their current investment portfolio
- Active management is important to portfolio performance: 78% of Millennials believe that active management provides incremental value - that it is possible to outperform market indices through expert stock selection. In addition, more than half (56%) of Millennials currently own actively-managed mutual funds, and almost all of these individuals (94%) plan to maintain or increase their current allocations to active funds
- Growth maximization and income generation are equally important: 27% of Millennials rank growth maximization as their top investment goal, a natural focus for investors with a long-term investment horizon that outlasts near-term market volatility. Surprisingly, generating income - a goal typically associated with retirees - is equally popular among Millennials
- The investment outlook is positive; however, their confidence is easily shaken by market volatility: 86% of Millennials surveyed claim to have a long-term outlook regarding their investments, 73% feel well-positioned for a market downturn and nearly half describe their risk tolerance as "aggressive." Contrary to their portrayed confidence, nearly 30% of Millennials -significantly more than any other age cohort - state that they would either reduce their equity exposure or exit the market entirely in the event of a 20% drawdown
- Financial advisors provide key insights and offer valuable investment advice: 60% of Millennials are willing to pay more for oversight of their investments, and 90% of advised Millennials rely most on financial advisors for portfolio diversification. However, 72% of Millennials believe that a portfolio is adequately diversified as long as it includes a broad range of stocks, indicating the need for greater education and advice from financial advisors in helping Millennials to make investment decisions
MethodologyThe AMG Funds survey was conducted online among affluent investors with over $250,000 in household investable assets, who participate in making household savings and investment decisions. Data was collected between September 10 and 16, 2015 among 980 respondents, age 18 or older, through an online consumer panel. The data was weighted by distribution of age and investable assets to the 2013 Survey of Consumer Finance. Percentages may not total to 100 due to rounding. About AMG and AMG Funds AMG is a global asset management company with equity investments in leading boutique investment management firms. Through AMG's innovative partnership approach, each Affiliate's management team retains ownership of significant equity in their firm while maintaining operational and investment autonomy. AMG Funds LLC is the U.S. retail distribution arm of AMG. AMG Funds provides access to premier boutique asset managers through a unique partnership wherein the investment managers remain truly independent. AMG Funds is not beholden to a single investment approach or a single manager in delivering quality investment solutions. This innovative approach leverages the independent manager's specific expertise to deliver products that cover the complete asset class spectrum. AMG Funds offers unmatched access to specialized investment expertise by delivering the talents of independent management teams under a consolidated platform. To learn more about the Wealth Management Trends in America investor survey, please visit www.amgfunds.com/wealth-trends.