While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."PennyMac Mortgage Investment Dividend Yield: 11.90% PennyMac Mortgage Investment (NYSE: PMT) shares currently have a dividend yield of 11.90%. PennyMac Mortgage Investment Trust, a specialty finance company, invests primarily in residential mortgage loans and mortgage-related assets in the United States. The company operates in two segments, Correspondent Production and Investment Activities. The company has a P/E ratio of 12.11. The average volume for PennyMac Mortgage Investment has been 601,000 shares per day over the past 30 days. PennyMac Mortgage Investment has a market cap of $1.1 billion and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are up 3% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates PennyMac Mortgage Investment as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, attractive valuation levels and increase in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including disappointing return on equity and a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 11.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 32.8%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- PENNYMAC MORTGAGE INVEST TR reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PENNYMAC MORTGAGE INVEST TR reported lower earnings of $1.15 versus $2.46 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.53 versus $1.15).
- PMT has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 15.09% from its price level of one year ago. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, PENNYMAC MORTGAGE INVEST TR's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full PennyMac Mortgage Investment Ratings Report.
- HP's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.11 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 3.43, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- 49.43% is the gross profit margin for HELMERICH & PAYNE which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year.
- Along with the very weak revenue results, HP underperformed when compared to the industry average of 35.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues plummeted by 50.5%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The share price of HELMERICH & PAYNE has not done very well: it is down 20.25% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. Looking ahead, other than the push or pull of the broad market, we do not see anything in the company's numbers that may help reverse the decline experienced over the past 12 months. Despite the past decline, the stock is still selling for more than most others in its industry.
- HELMERICH & PAYNE has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last two years. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, HELMERICH & PAYNE reported lower earnings of $3.90 versus $6.46 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 129.2% in earnings (-$1.14 versus $3.90).
- You can view the full Helmerich & Payne Ratings Report.
- WDC's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.23 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 2.62, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- 36.07% is the gross profit margin for WESTERN DIGITAL CORP which we consider to be strong. Regardless of WDC's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, WDC's net profit margin of 2.62% is significantly lower than the industry average.
- WESTERN DIGITAL CORP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last year. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, WESTERN DIGITAL CORP reported lower earnings of $6.17 versus $6.69 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 19.1% in earnings ($4.99 versus $6.17).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Computers & Peripherals industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 80.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $384.00 million to $74.00 million.
- You can view the full Western Digital Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.