According to the Labor Department, nonfarm payrolls increased just 38,000 in May, significantly below analysts' expectations for a growth of 155,000 nonfarm jobs.
This data led investors to believe that the Federal Reserve will be hesitant to raise interest rates next month.
"The employment report changes the game because the market had been anticipating that the Fed would move in June or July. But now June is completely off the table," Ira Epstein, managing director at Linn Group told MarketWatch.
Gold for August delivery is jumping 2.69% to $1,245.20 per ounce on the COMEX this afternoon.
Based in Toronto, IAMGOLD explores for, develops, and operates mining properties in North and South America, and West Africa.
Recently, TheStreet Ratings objectively rated this stock according to its "risk-adjusted" total return prospect over a 12-month investment horizon. Not based on the news in any given day, the rating may differ from Jim Cramer's view or that of this articles's author. TheStreet Ratings has this to say about the recommendation:
We rate IAMGOLD CORP as a Sell with a ratings score of D. This is driven by multiple weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its disappointing return on equity and poor profit margins.
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market, IAMGOLD CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for IAMGOLD CORP is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 30.95%. Regardless of IAG's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year.
- IAMGOLD CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has not demonstrated a clear trend in earnings over the past 2 years, making it difficult to accurately predict earnings for the coming year. During the past fiscal year, IAMGOLD CORP reported poor results of -$2.04 versus -$0.71 in the prior year.
- Despite the weak revenue results, IAG has significantly outperformed against the industry average of 44.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 10.2%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.32, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 4.08, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: IAG