- REXX has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $2.9 million.
- REXX has traded 1.3 million shares today.
- REXX is trading at 5.57 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- REXX is trading at a new high 28.37% above yesterday's close.
'Strong on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as M&A events, material stock news, analyst upgrades, insider buying, buying from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and momentum traders are piling into a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize. In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in REXX with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for REXX NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on REXX: Rex Energy Corporation operates as an independent oil, natural gas liquid, and natural gas company in the Appalachian and Illinois basins in the United States. Currently there are no analysts that rate Rex Energy a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 9 rate it a hold. The average volume for Rex Energy has been 4.1 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Rex Energy has a market cap of $41.8 million and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. The stock has a beta of 1.57 and a short float of 26.1% with 4.65 days to cover. Shares are down 37.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Rex Energy as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, generally high debt management risk, disappointing return on equity, poor profit margins and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 237.6% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$17.81 million to -$60.14 million.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 7.63 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. Along with this, the company manages to maintain a quick ratio of 0.49, which clearly demonstrates the inability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, REX ENERGY CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for REX ENERGY CORP is rather low; currently it is at 21.90%. It has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -138.25% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$18.89 million or 266.22% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full Rex Energy Ratings Report.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE.