- PETX has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $4.6 million.
- PETX has traded 111,925 shares today.
- PETX is trading at 2.04 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- PETX is trading at a new high 3.27% above yesterday's close.
'Strong on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as M&A events, material stock news, analyst upgrades, insider buying, buying from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and momentum traders are piling into a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize. In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in PETX with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for PETX NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on PETX: Aratana Therapeutics, Inc., a development-stage biopharmaceutical company, focuses on the licensing, development, and commercialization of biopharmaceutical products for the companion animals worldwide. Currently there are 5 analysts that rate Aratana Therapeutics a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold. The average volume for Aratana Therapeutics has been 850,100 shares per day over the past 30 days. Aratana has a market cap of $195.1 million and is part of the health care sector and drugs industry. The stock has a beta of 3.67 and a short float of 19% with 5.89 days to cover. Shares are up 4.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Aratana Therapeutics as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow, generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and feeble growth in its earnings per share. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Pharmaceuticals industry and the overall market, ARATANA THERAPEUTICS's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to -$10.39 million or 10.21% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite a decrease in cash flow ARATANA THERAPEUTICS is still fairing well by exceeding its industry average cash flow growth rate of -53.36%.
- Looking at the price performance of PETX's shares over the past 12 months, there is not much good news to report: the stock is down 55.53%, and it has underformed the S&P 500 Index. In addition, the company's earnings per share are lower today than the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- ARATANA THERAPEUTICS's earnings per share declined by 23.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ARATANA THERAPEUTICS reported poor results of -$2.44 versus -$1.31 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$1.46 versus -$2.44).
- The change in net income from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the Pharmaceuticals industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income has significantly decreased by 25.3% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$10.26 million to -$12.86 million.
- You can view the full Aratana Therapeutics Ratings Report.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE.