While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."Rayonier Dividend Yield: 4.30% Rayonier (NYSE: RYN) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.30%. Rayonier Inc. operates as an investment arm of Rayonier TRS Operating Company. Rayonier, Inc. engages in the sale and development of real estate and timberland management, as well as in the production and sale of cellulose fibers in the United States, New Zealand, and Australia. The company has a P/E ratio of 62.70. The average volume for Rayonier has been 636,400 shares per day over the past 30 days. Rayonier has a market cap of $2.8 billion and is part of the materials & construction industry. Shares are up 5.3% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates Rayonier as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in net income and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself, disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly outperformed against the S&P 500 and exceeded that of the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry average. The net income increased by 16.1% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $8.86 million to $10.29 million.
- 37.12% is the gross profit margin for RAYONIER INC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Despite the strong results of the gross profit margin, RYN's net profit margin of 7.50% significantly trails the industry average.
- RYN, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 7.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 7.0%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. In comparison to the other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, RAYONIER INC's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has declined marginally to $33.76 million or 5.74% when compared to the same quarter last year. In conjunction, when comparing current results to the industry average, RAYONIER INC has marginally lower results.
- You can view the full Rayonier Ratings Report.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.50, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. Even though the company has a strong debt-to-equity ratio, the quick ratio of 0.42 is very weak and demonstrates a lack of ability to pay short-term obligations.
- 37.52% is the gross profit margin for POTASH CORP SASK INC which we consider to be strong. Regardless of POT's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, POT's net profit margin of 14.84% compares favorably to the industry average.
- POT, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 10.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 28.8%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Chemicals industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 50.6% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $407.00 million to $201.00 million.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $623.00 million or 12.62% when compared to the same quarter last year. In conjunction, when comparing current results to the industry average, POTASH CORP SASK INC has marginally lower results.
- You can view the full Potash Corp of Saskatchewan Ratings Report.
- APO, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 4.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 29.7%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- APOLLO GLOBAL MANAGEMENT LLC's earnings per share declined by 50.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, APOLLO GLOBAL MANAGEMENT LLC reported lower earnings of $0.61 versus $0.64 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.35 versus $0.61).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 72.5% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $22.18 million to $6.09 million.
- The gross profit margin for APOLLO GLOBAL MANAGEMENT LLC is currently extremely low, coming in at 12.84%. It has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 3.14% significantly trails the industry average.
- The share price of APOLLO GLOBAL MANAGEMENT LLC has not done very well: it is down 22.57% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. Looking ahead, we do not see anything in this company's numbers that would change the one-year trend. It was down over the last twelve months; and it could be down again in the next twelve. Naturally, a bull or bear market could sway the movement of this stock.
- You can view the full Apollo Global Management Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.