- ALR has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $61.1 million.
- ALR traded 482,486 shares today in the pre-market hours as of 8:34 AM, representing 39.9% of its average daily volume.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in ALR with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for ALR NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on ALR: Alere Inc. provides point-of-care diagnostics and services for infectious disease, cardiometabolic disease, and toxicology in the United States and internationally. The company operates through Professional Diagnostics and Consumer Diagnostics segments. Currently there are no analysts that rate Alere a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 6 rate it a hold. The average volume for Alere has been 2.3 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Alere has a market cap of $4.6 billion and is part of the health care sector and health services industry. The stock has a beta of 0.38 and a short float of 4.6% with 3.62 days to cover. Shares are up 36.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Alere as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, compelling growth in net income and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company has favored debt over equity in the management of its balance sheet. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Looking at where the stock is today compared to one year ago, we find that it is not only higher, but it has also clearly outperformed the rise in the S&P 500 over the same period. Although other factors naturally played a role, the company's strong earnings growth was key. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Health Care Equipment & Supplies industry. The net income increased by 105.7% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$98.38 million to $5.56 million.
- The gross profit margin for ALERE INC is rather high; currently it is at 60.14%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Despite the strong results of the gross profit margin, ALR's net profit margin of 0.92% significantly trails the industry average.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. Compared to other companies in the Health Care Equipment & Supplies industry and the overall market, ALERE INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Currently the debt-to-equity ratio of 1.72 is quite high overall and when compared to the industry average, suggesting that the current management of debt levels should be re-evaluated. Even though the debt-to-equity ratio is weak, ALR's quick ratio is somewhat strong at 1.21, demonstrating the ability to handle short-term liquidity needs.
- You can view the full Alere Ratings Report.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE.