- BCRX has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $6.5 million.
- BCRX has traded 577,292 shares today.
- BCRX is trading at 4.90 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- BCRX is trading at a new low 3.36% below yesterday's close.
'Weak on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as material stock news, analyst downgrades, insider selling, selling from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and traders are piling out of a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize (or avoid losses by trimming weak positions). In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in BCRX with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for BCRX NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on BCRX: BioCryst Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a biotechnology company, designs, optimizes, and develops small molecule drugs that block key enzymes involved in the pathogenesis of diseases. Currently there are 3 analysts that rate Biocryst Pharmaceuticals a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 5 rate it a hold. The average volume for Biocryst Pharmaceuticals has been 1.3 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Biocryst has a market cap of $190.0 million and is part of the health care sector and drugs industry. The stock has a beta of 2.97 and a short float of 20.8% with 3.85 days to cover. Shares are down 71.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Biocryst Pharmaceuticals as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its unimpressive growth in net income, disappointing return on equity, generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and feeble growth in its earnings per share. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Biotechnology industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 55.4% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$11.67 million to -$18.14 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Biotechnology industry and the overall market, BIOCRYST PHARMACEUTICALS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 74.06%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 56.25% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- BIOCRYST PHARMACEUTICALS INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, BIOCRYST PHARMACEUTICALS INC continued to lose money by earning -$0.60 versus -$0.68 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 64.2% in earnings (-$0.99 versus -$0.60).
- BCRX, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 6.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 15.5%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full Biocryst Pharmaceuticals Ratings Report.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE.