While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."Global Partners Dividend Yield: 13.70% Global Partners (NYSE: GLP) shares currently have a dividend yield of 13.70%. Global Partners LP, a midstream logistics and marketing company, distributes gasoline, distillates, residual oil, and renewable fuels to wholesalers, retailers, and commercial customers in the New England states and New York. The company has a P/E ratio of 6.31. The average volume for Global Partners has been 384,100 shares per day over the past 30 days. Global Partners has a market cap of $458.9 million and is part of the wholesale industry. Shares are down 25.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates Global Partners as a hold. Among the primary strengths of the company is its reasonable valuation levels, considering its current price compared to earnings, book value and other measures. At the same time, however, we also find weaknesses including generally higher debt management risk, weak operating cash flow and deteriorating net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- GLP, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 33.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 38.6%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- GLOBAL PARTNERS LP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, GLOBAL PARTNERS LP increased its bottom line by earning $3.96 versus $1.43 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 71.3% in earnings ($1.14 versus $3.96).
- Currently the debt-to-equity ratio of 1.90 is quite high overall and when compared to the industry average, suggesting that the current management of debt levels should be re-evaluated. To add to this, GLP has a quick ratio of 0.68, this demonstrates the lack of ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $51.84 million or 64.09% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- You can view the full Global Partners Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 18.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 14.5%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for SEASPAN CORP is currently very high, coming in at 70.44%. Regardless of SSW's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, SSW's net profit margin of 9.62% compares favorably to the industry average.
- SEASPAN CORP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past year. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SEASPAN CORP reported lower earnings of $0.78 versus $2.94 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.07 versus $0.78).
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Marine industry and the overall market, SEASPAN CORP's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Marine industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 68.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $65.44 million to $20.49 million.
- You can view the full Seaspan Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 1.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 49.8%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displaying stagnant earnings per share.
- RFIL has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 2.65, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- 35.14% is the gross profit margin for R F INDUSTRIES LTD which we consider to be strong. Despite the high profit margin, it has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 3.02% trails the industry average.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Electronic Equipment, Instruments & Components industry and the overall market, R F INDUSTRIES LTD's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$0.08 million or 106.77% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full RF Industries Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.