While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."Rayonier Dividend Yield: 5.20% Rayonier (NYSE: RYN) shares currently have a dividend yield of 5.20%. Rayonier Inc. operates as an investment arm of Rayonier TRS Operating Company. Rayonier, Inc. engages in the sale and development of real estate and timberland management, as well as in the production and sale of cellulose fibers in the United States, New Zealand, and Australia. The company has a P/E ratio of 51.57. The average volume for Rayonier has been 681,100 shares per day over the past 30 days. Rayonier has a market cap of $2.4 billion and is part of the materials & construction industry. Shares are down 14.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates Rayonier as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in net income, expanding profit margins and growth in earnings per share. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself, disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income increased by 16.3% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $8.86 million to $10.30 million.
- 37.13% is the gross profit margin for RAYONIER INC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Despite the strong results of the gross profit margin, RYN's net profit margin of 7.51% significantly trails the industry average.
- RAYONIER INC has improved earnings per share by 14.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, RAYONIER INC reported lower earnings of $0.37 versus $0.43 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.43 versus $0.37).
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, RAYONIER INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- RYN's stock share price has done very poorly compared to where it was a year ago: Despite any rallies, the net result is that it is down by 32.22%, which is also worse that the performance of the S&P 500 Index. Investors have so far failed to pay much attention to the earnings improvements the company has managed to achieve over the last quarter. Although its share price is down sharply from a year ago, do not assume that it can now be tagged as cheap and attractive. The reality is that, based on its current price in relation to its earnings, RYN is still more expensive than most of the other companies in its industry.
- You can view the full Rayonier Ratings Report.
- LHO's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 7.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 7.5%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- 43.69% is the gross profit margin for LASALLE HOTEL PROPERTIES which we consider to be strong. Regardless of LHO's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, LHO's net profit margin of 14.34% is significantly lower than the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 53.1% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $101.22 million to $47.47 million.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, LASALLE HOTEL PROPERTIES's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full LaSalle Hotel Properties Ratings Report.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry average. The net income increased by 3.8% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $659.80 million to $684.80 million.
- The gross profit margin for ENTERPRISE PRODS PRTNRS -LP is rather low; currently it is at 20.45%. Regardless of EPD's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, EPD's net profit margin of 11.12% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- EPD's stock share price has done very poorly compared to where it was a year ago: Despite any rallies, the net result is that it is down by 41.92%, which is also worse than the performance of the S&P 500 Index. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.12 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management.
- You can view the full Enterprise Products Partners Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.