While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Sell."Plains GP Holdings Dividend Yield: 15.30% Plains GP Holdings (NYSE: PAGP) shares currently have a dividend yield of 15.30%. Plains GP Holdings, L.P., through its interest in Plains AAP, L.P., owns and operates midstream energy infrastructure and provides logistics services for crude oil, natural gas liquids, natural gas, and refined products in the United States and Canada. The company has a P/E ratio of 10.60. The average volume for Plains GP Holdings has been 5,554,700 shares per day over the past 30 days. Plains GP Holdings has a market cap of $3.7 billion and is part of the energy industry. Shares are down 36.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates Plains GP Holdings as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its generally high debt management risk, generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and poor profit margins. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 6.20 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company.
- Looking at the price performance of PAGP's shares over the past 12 months, there is not much good news to report: the stock is down 79.11%, and it has underformed the S&P 500 Index. In addition, the company's earnings per share are lower today than the year-earlier quarter. Turning toward the future, the fact that the stock has come down in price over the past year should not necessarily be interpreted as a negative; it could be one of the factors that may help make the stock attractive down the road. Right now, however, we believe that it is too soon to buy.
- The gross profit margin for PLAINS GP HOLDINGS LP is currently extremely low, coming in at 10.37%. Regardless of PAGP's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 0.50% trails the industry average.
- PAGP, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 31.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 47.2%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- PLAINS GP HOLDINGS LP's earnings per share declined by 15.4% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PLAINS GP HOLDINGS LP increased its bottom line by earning $0.53 versus $0.47 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.55 versus $0.53).
- You can view the full Plains GP Holdings Ratings Report.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 56.9% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $126.37 million to $54.53 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. When compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, NEW RESIDENTIAL INV CP's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$155.16 million or 474.98% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- The share price of NEW RESIDENTIAL INV CP has not done very well: it is down 23.39% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- NEW RESIDENTIAL INV CP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, NEW RESIDENTIAL INV CP increased its bottom line by earning $2.52 versus $1.96 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 26.2% in earnings ($1.86 versus $2.52).
- You can view the full New Residential Investment Ratings Report.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Specialty Retail industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 499.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $6.79 million to -$27.15 million.
- Currently the debt-to-equity ratio of 1.68 is quite high overall and when compared to the industry average, suggesting that the current management of debt levels should be re-evaluated. Along with this, the company manages to maintain a quick ratio of 0.37, which clearly demonstrates the inability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Specialty Retail industry and the overall market, MENS WEARHOUSE INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $17.32 million or 61.62% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 71.78%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 500.00% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Turning toward the future, the fact that the stock has come down in price over the past year should not necessarily be interpreted as a negative; it could be one of the factors that may help make the stock attractive down the road. Right now, however, we believe that it is too soon to buy.
- You can view the full Men's Wearhouse Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.