While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy."Digital Realty Dividend Yield: 4.40% Digital Realty (NYSE: DLR) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.40%. Digital Realty Trust, Inc., a real estate investment trust (REIT), through its controlling interest in Digital Realty Trust, L.P., engages in the ownership, acquisition, development, redevelopment, and management of technology-related real estate. The company has a P/E ratio of 52.45. The average volume for Digital Realty has been 1,154,600 shares per day over the past 30 days. Digital Realty has a market cap of $11.4 billion and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are up 3.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates Digital Realty as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, good cash flow from operations and solid stock price performance. We feel its strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 6.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 5.7%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $184.06 million or 17.00% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, DIGITAL REALTY TRUST INC has also modestly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 9.44%.
- DIGITAL REALTY TRUST INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern of earnings per share over the past two years. However, we anticipate this trend to reverse over the coming year. During the past fiscal year, DIGITAL REALTY TRUST INC reported lower earnings of $0.98 versus $2.10 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.10 versus $0.98).
- Looking at where the stock is today compared to one year ago, we find that it is not only higher, but it has also clearly outperformed the rise in the S&P 500 over the same period, despite the company's weak earnings results. The stock's price rise over the last year has driven it to a level which is somewhat expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 55.4% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $127.77 million to $56.98 million.
- You can view the full Digital Realty Ratings Report.
- HIW's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 6.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 7.5%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $87.12 million or 25.99% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of 9.45%.
- HIGHWOODS PROPERTIES INC's earnings per share declined by 45.6% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, HIGHWOODS PROPERTIES INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.19 versus $0.66 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 14.3% in earnings ($1.02 versus $1.19).
- The share price of HIGHWOODS PROPERTIES INC is down 9.47% when compared to where it was trading one year earlier. This reflects both (a) the trend in the overall market as well as (b) the sharp decline in the company's earnings per share. Looking ahead, although the push and pull of the overall market trend could certainly make a critical difference, we do not see any strong reason stemming from the company's fundamentals that would cause a continuation of last year's decline. In fact, the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 42.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $52.34 million to $30.38 million.
- You can view the full Highwoods Properties Ratings Report.
- BGCP's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 5.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 57.2%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry. The net income increased by 432.1% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $7.21 million to $38.37 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 157.89% to $133.25 million when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow of 157.89%, BGC PARTNERS INC is still growing at a significantly lower rate than the industry average of 272.10%.
- BGC PARTNERS INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, BGC PARTNERS INC reported lower earnings of $0.02 versus $0.35 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.74 versus $0.02).
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, BGC PARTNERS INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full BGC Partners Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.