While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Sell."GasLog Partners Dividend Yield: 13.40% GasLog Partners (NYSE: GLOP) shares currently have a dividend yield of 13.40%. GasLog Partners LP acquires, owns, and operates liquefied natural gas (LNG) carriers. The company provides LNG transportation services under long-term charters worldwide. As of February 16, 2015, it had a fleet of five LNG carriers. The company was founded in 2014 and is based in Monaco. The average volume for GasLog Partners has been 166,400 shares per day over the past 30 days. GasLog Partners has a market cap of $311.0 million and is part of the transportation industry. Shares are up 3% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates GasLog Partners as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its generally high debt management risk and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.34 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. Along with this, the company manages to maintain a quick ratio of 0.24, which clearly demonstrates the inability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 45.26%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 40.77% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- The change in net income from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry average. The net income has decreased by 5.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $20.24 million to $19.23 million.
- GASLOG PARTNERS LP's earnings per share declined by 40.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.21 versus $1.86).
- The gross profit margin for GASLOG PARTNERS LP is currently very high, coming in at 79.03%. Regardless of GLOP's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, GLOP's net profit margin of 37.37% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- You can view the full GasLog Partners Ratings Report.
- USAC's stock share price has done very poorly compared to where it was a year ago: Despite any rallies, the net result is that it is down by 29.84%, which is also worse that the performance of the S&P 500 Index. Investors have so far failed to pay much attention to the earnings improvements the company has managed to achieve over the last quarter. Although its share price is down sharply from a year ago, do not assume that it can now be tagged as cheap and attractive. The reality is that, based on its current price in relation to its earnings, USAC is still more expensive than most of the other companies in its industry.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Energy Equipment & Services industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, USA COMPRESSION PRTNRS LP underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
- USAC's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.80 is somewhat low overall, but it is high when compared to the industry average, implying that the management of the debt levels should be evaluated further. Even though the debt-to-equity ratio shows mixed results, the company's quick ratio of 0.47 is very low and demonstrates very weak liquidity.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $34.19 million or 12.17% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite a decrease in cash flow of 12.17%, USA COMPRESSION PRTNRS LP is in line with the industry average cash flow growth rate of -18.43%.
- The gross profit margin for USA COMPRESSION PRTNRS LP is rather high; currently it is at 68.93%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 13.89% is above that of the industry average.
- You can view the full USA Compression Partners Ratings Report.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$8.35 million or 280.98% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. When compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, INDEPENDENCE REALTY TRUST's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- This stock's share value has moved by only 15.62% over the past year. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- The gross profit margin for INDEPENDENCE REALTY TRUST is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 29.80%. Regardless of IRT's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, IRT's net profit margin of 94.13% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- You can view the full Independence Realty Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.