While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Sell."Apollo Residential Mortgage Dividend Yield: 14.90% Apollo Residential Mortgage (NYSE: AMTG) shares currently have a dividend yield of 14.90%. Apollo Residential Mortgage, Inc. primarily invests in residential mortgage assets in the United States. The average volume for Apollo Residential Mortgage has been 266,200 shares per day over the past 30 days. Apollo Residential Mortgage has a market cap of $408.5 million and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are down 18.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates Apollo Residential Mortgage as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow, generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and feeble growth in its earnings per share. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 300.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $10.88 million to -$21.78 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, APOLLO RESIDENTIAL MTG INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $12.00 million or 10.99% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- The share price of APOLLO RESIDENTIAL MTG INC has not done very well: it is down 20.87% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- APOLLO RESIDENTIAL MTG INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, APOLLO RESIDENTIAL MTG INC turned its bottom line around by earning $2.54 versus -$1.91 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 16.9% in earnings ($2.11 versus $2.54).
- You can view the full Apollo Residential Mortgage Ratings Report.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 2243.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $0.23 million to -$4.91 million.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, FULL CIRCLE CAPITAL CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 45.02%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 1150.00% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- FULL, with its very weak revenue results, has greatly underperformed against the industry average of 5.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues plummeted by 204.6%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- FULL CIRCLE CAPITAL CORP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, FULL CIRCLE CAPITAL CORP continued to lose money by earning -$0.41 versus -$0.83 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.42 versus -$0.41).
- You can view the full Full Circle Capital Ratings Report.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 2.00 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. To add to this, AVH has a quick ratio of 0.63, this demonstrates the lack of ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$166.84 million or 475.72% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- The gross profit margin for AVIANCA HOLDINGS SA is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 29.27%. Regardless of AVH's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, AVH's net profit margin of 8.44% is significantly lower than the industry average.
- AVH's stock share price has done very poorly compared to where it was a year ago: Despite any rallies, the net result is that it is down by 63.17%, which is also worse that the performance of the S&P 500 Index. Investors have so far failed to pay much attention to the earnings improvements the company has managed to achieve over the last quarter. Turning toward the future, the fact that the stock has come down in price over the past year should not necessarily be interpreted as a negative; it could be one of the factors that may help make the stock attractive down the road. Right now, however, we believe that it is too soon to buy.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. In comparison to the other companies in the Airlines industry and the overall market, AVIANCA HOLDINGS SA's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Avianca Holdings Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.