While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."Rayonier Dividend Yield: 4.10% Rayonier (NYSE: RYN) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.10%. Rayonier Inc. operates as an investment arm of Rayonier TRS Operating Company. Rayonier, Inc. engages in the sale and development of real estate and timberland management, as well as in the production and sale of cellulose fibers in the United States, New Zealand, and Australia. The company has a P/E ratio of 68.94. The average volume for Rayonier has been 902,500 shares per day over the past 30 days. Rayonier has a market cap of $3.0 billion and is part of the materials & construction industry. Shares are down 13% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates Rayonier as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, expanding profit margins and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself, feeble growth in the company's earnings per share and deteriorating net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 6.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 1.2%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- 44.56% is the gross profit margin for RAYONIER INC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Despite the strong results of the gross profit margin, RYN's net profit margin of 12.96% significantly trails the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has slightly increased to $57.52 million or 5.86% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow, RAYONIER INC's average is still marginally south of the industry average growth rate of 9.42%.
- RAYONIER INC's earnings per share declined by 36.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last year. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, RAYONIER INC reported lower earnings of $0.43 versus $0.80 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 11.6% in earnings ($0.38 versus $0.43).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 39.9% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $32.70 million to $19.67 million.
- You can view the full Rayonier Ratings Report.
- TAL's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 2.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 3.4%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for TAL INTERNATIONAL GROUP INC is currently very high, coming in at 84.00%. Regardless of TAL's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, TAL's net profit margin of 13.25% compares favorably to the industry average.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 4.91 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $109.09 million or 11.62% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- You can view the full TAL International Group Ratings Report.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income increased by 35.7% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $167.25 million to $226.96 million.
- The gross profit margin for ONEOK PARTNERS -LP is rather low; currently it is at 19.78%. Regardless of OKS's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, OKS's net profit margin of 11.95% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, ONEOK PARTNERS -LP has outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.06 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. Along with this, the company manages to maintain a quick ratio of 0.31, which clearly demonstrates the inability to cover short-term cash needs.
- You can view the full ONEOK Partners Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.