While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy."Scorpio Tankers Dividend Yield: 5.60% Scorpio Tankers (NYSE: STNG) shares currently have a dividend yield of 5.60%. Scorpio Tankers Inc., together with its subsidiaries, engages in the seaborne transportation of refined petroleum products and crude oil worldwide. The company has a P/E ratio of 8.03. The average volume for Scorpio Tankers has been 2,074,700 shares per day over the past 30 days. Scorpio Tankers has a market cap of $1.6 billion and is part of the transportation industry. Shares are up 1.7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates Scorpio Tankers as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, notable return on equity, expanding profit margins, good cash flow from operations and solid stock price performance. We feel its strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally high debt management risk by most measures that we evaluated. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- STNG's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 36.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 175.2%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, reflecting both the market's overall trend during that period and the fact that the company's earnings growth has been robust. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- SCORPIO TANKERS INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, SCORPIO TANKERS INC increased its bottom line by earning $0.27 versus $0.14 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.26 versus $0.27).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income increased by 7455.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$1.16 million to $85.25 million.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, SCORPIO TANKERS INC's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Scorpio Tankers Ratings Report.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Paper & Forest Products industry and the overall market, INTL PAPER CO's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 11.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 5.9%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- INTL PAPER CO's earnings per share declined by 32.9% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern of earnings per share over the past two years. However, we anticipate this trend to reverse over the coming year. During the past fiscal year, INTL PAPER CO reported lower earnings of $1.33 versus $3.81 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.67 versus $1.33).
- The change in net income from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the Paper & Forest Products industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income has significantly decreased by 38.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $355.00 million to $220.00 million.
- The share price of INTL PAPER CO has not done very well: it is down 24.05% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. Looking ahead, although the push and pull of the overall market trend could certainly make a critical difference, we do not see any strong reason stemming from the company's fundamentals that would cause a continuation of last year's decline. In fact, the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings.
- You can view the full International Paper Ratings Report.
- 48.19% is the gross profit margin for LAS VEGAS SANDS CORP which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 17.94% is above that of the industry average.
- LVS, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 1.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 18.1%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- LAS VEGAS SANDS CORP's earnings per share declined by 21.7% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, LAS VEGAS SANDS CORP increased its bottom line by earning $3.51 versus $2.79 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 26.5% in earnings ($2.58 versus $3.51).
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.32 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. Even though the debt-to-equity ratio is weak, LVS's quick ratio is somewhat strong at 1.34, demonstrating the ability to handle short-term liquidity needs.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. In comparison to other companies in the Hotels, Restaurants & Leisure industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, LAS VEGAS SANDS CORP has underperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has greatly exceeded that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Las Vegas Sands Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.