While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy."Ryanair Holdings Dividend Yield: 4.10% Ryanair Holdings (NASDAQ: RYAAY) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.10%. Ryanair Holdings plc, together with its subsidiaries, provides scheduled-passenger airline services in Ireland, the United Kingdom, continental Europe, and Morocco. The company has a P/E ratio of 31.30. The average volume for Ryanair Holdings has been 414,200 shares per day over the past 30 days. Ryanair Holdings has a market cap of $21.6 billion and is part of the transportation industry. Shares are up 11.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates Ryanair Holdings as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its growth in earnings per share, solid stock price performance, notable return on equity, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and increase in net income. We feel its strengths outweigh the fact that the company is trading at a premium valuation based on our review of its current price compared to such things as earnings and book value. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- RYANAIR HOLDINGS PLC's earnings per share improvement from the most recent quarter was slightly positive. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, RYANAIR HOLDINGS PLC increased its bottom line by earning $3.44 versus $2.56 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($5.30 versus $3.44).
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Airlines industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, RYANAIR HOLDINGS PLC has underperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has exceeded that of the S&P 500.
- Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, including earnings growth. This has helped drive up the company's shares by a sharp 28.18% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. We feel that the stock's sharp appreciation over the last year has driven it to a price level which is now somewhat expensive compared to the rest of its industry. The other strengths this company shows, however, justify the higher price levels.
- RYAAY, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 6.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 10.0%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- Even though the current debt-to-equity ratio is 1.08, it is still below the industry average, suggesting that this level of debt is acceptable within the Airlines industry. Regardless of the somewhat mixed results with the debt-to-equity ratio, the company's quick ratio of 1.45 is sturdy.
- You can view the full Ryanair Holdings Ratings Report.
- BX, with its very weak revenue results, has greatly underperformed against the industry average of 6.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues plummeted by 99.3%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- Looking at where the stock is today compared to one year ago, we find that it is not only higher, but it has also clearly outperformed the rise in the S&P 500 over the same period, despite the company's weak earnings results. The stock's price rise over the last year has driven it to a level which is somewhat expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- BLACKSTONE GROUP LP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, BLACKSTONE GROUP LP increased its bottom line by earning $2.59 versus $1.98 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 10.8% in earnings ($2.31 versus $2.59).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 201.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $250.51 million to -$254.70 million.
- You can view the full Blackstone Group Ratings Report.
- POM's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 0.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 3.7%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- PEPCO HOLDINGS INC has improved earnings per share by 16.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, PEPCO HOLDINGS INC increased its bottom line by earning $0.96 versus $0.41 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.15 versus $0.96).
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly outperformed against the S&P 500 and exceeded that of the Electric Utilities industry average. The net income increased by 15.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $79.00 million to $91.00 million.
- In its most recent trading session, POM has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Despite the decline in its share price over the last year, this stock is still more expensive (when compared to its current earnings) than most other companies in its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays compensate for this.
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.43 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. To add to this, POM has a quick ratio of 0.53, this demonstrates the lack of ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- You can view the full Pepco Holdings Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.