The Day of Weatherization began as Washington Gas' Project Weatherization in 2007 and expanded in 2013 to become a WGL company-wide event, with volunteers participating from Washington Gas, WGL Energy, Hampshire Gas and WGL Midstream. To date, more than 580 homes have received assistance from WGL during the annual event.WGL encourages its customers to take simple steps, such as the following, to help manage energy costs better and stay safe, warm and energy-smart when temperatures start to drop:
- Change or clean furnace/air filters once a month and schedule an annual furnace or boiler check-up with a licensed professional.
- Caulk and weather strip around doors and windows.
- Install rubber gaskets behind outlet and switch plates.
- Turn the water heater down to warm or low settings, never more than 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash full loads of laundry and dishes.
- Use cold water for laundry using specially formulated cold-water detergents.
- Consider installing new, high-efficiency appliances.
- Look for the ENERGY STAR® energy-efficient product label.
- Consider purchasing a programmable thermostat, which automatically lowers the temperature setting at night and increases the setting during the day.