- CP has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $125.8 million.
- CP has traded 808,596 shares today.
- CP traded in a range 239.3% of the normal price range with a price range of $9.00.
- CP traded above its daily resistance level (quality: 4 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 4 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Barbarian at the Gate' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying positive price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, 'resistance' while at the same time the range of the stock's movement in price is more than twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves higher. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in CP with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for CP NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on CP: Canadian Pacific Railway Limited, through its subsidiaries, operates a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States. The company provides logistics and supply chain expertise services. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 0.7%. CP has a PE ratio of 2. Currently there are 12 analysts that rate Canadian Pacific Railway a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 4 rate it a hold. The average volume for Canadian Pacific Railway has been 1.1 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Canadian Pacific Railway has a market cap of $23.9 billion and is part of the services sector and transportation industry. Shares are down 24.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Canadian Pacific Railway as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its growth in earnings per share, increase in net income, notable return on equity and expanding profit margins. We feel its strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- CANADIAN PACIFIC RAILWAY LTD has improved earnings per share by 11.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, CANADIAN PACIFIC RAILWAY LTD increased its bottom line by earning $8.49 versus $4.98 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($10.34 versus $8.49).
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly outperformed against the S&P 500 and exceeded that of the Road & Rail industry average. The net income increased by 5.1% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $371.00 million to $390.00 million.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. When compared to other companies in the Road & Rail industry and the overall market, CANADIAN PACIFIC RAILWAY LTD's return on equity exceeds that of the industry average and significantly exceeds that of the S&P 500.
- 47.91% is the gross profit margin for CANADIAN PACIFIC RAILWAY LTD which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 23.62% is above that of the industry average.
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 6.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 1.8%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full Canadian Pacific Railway Ratings Report.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE.