- UNT has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $20.9 million.
- UNT has traded 1.2 million shares today.
- UNT traded in a range 295.6% of the normal price range with a price range of $3.14.
- UNT traded above its daily resistance level (quality: 54 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 54 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Barbarian at the Gate' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying positive price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, 'resistance' while at the same time the range of the stock's movement in price is more than twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves higher. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in UNT with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for UNT NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on UNT: Unit Corporation, together with its subsidiaries, operates as an oil and natural gas contract drilling company primarily in the United States. The company operates through three segments: Oil and Natural Gas, Contract Drilling, and Mid-Stream. Currently there are 2 analysts that rate Unit a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 4 rate it a hold. The average volume for Unit has been 1.1 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Unit has a market cap of $631.7 million and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. The stock has a beta of 2.01 and a short float of 14.7% with 4.89 days to cover. Shares are down 59.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Unit as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- UNIT CORP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last year. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, UNIT CORP reported lower earnings of $2.77 versus $3.80 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 125.6% in earnings (-$0.71 versus $2.77).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Energy Equipment & Services industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 604.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $54.36 million to -$274.39 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Energy Equipment & Services industry and the overall market, UNIT CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $97.30 million or 51.84% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 80.73%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 602.70% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- You can view the full Unit Ratings Report.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE.