- HTWR has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $27.9 million.
- HTWR has traded 64,596 shares today.
- HTWR is trading at 3.04 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- HTWR is trading at a new high 6.02% above yesterday's close.
'Strong on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as M&A events, material stock news, analyst upgrades, insider buying, buying from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and momentum traders are piling into a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize. In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in HTWR with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for HTWR NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on HTWR: HeartWare International, Inc., a medical device company, designs, develops, manufactures, and markets miniaturized implantable heart pumps or ventricular assist devices (VAD) for the treatment of advanced heart failure in the United States, Germany, and internationally. Currently there are 6 analysts that rate Heartware International a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 5 rate it a hold. The average volume for Heartware International has been 460,600 shares per day over the past 30 days. Heartware International has a market cap of $917.1 million and is part of the health care sector and health services industry. The stock has a beta of 1.04 and a short float of 29.9% with 6.15 days to cover. Shares are down 26.3% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Heartware International as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and feeble growth in its earnings per share. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Health Care Equipment & Supplies industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 427.5% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $8.36 million to -$27.39 million.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Health Care Equipment & Supplies industry and the overall market, HEARTWARE INTERNATIONAL INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 30.12%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 431.25% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- HEARTWARE INTERNATIONAL INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, HEARTWARE INTERNATIONAL INC continued to lose money by earning -$1.15 versus -$3.68 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 73.0% in earnings (-$1.99 versus -$1.15).
- The gross profit margin for HEARTWARE INTERNATIONAL INC is rather high; currently it is at 68.67%. Regardless of HTWR's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, HTWR's net profit margin of -37.23% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- You can view the full Heartware International Ratings Report.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE.