City National's Reading is The way up literacy program, which began in 2002, will award the grants. Applications will be accepted beginning October 1 running through November 30, 2015, and awardees will be notified early next year. Grant funds must be expended by December 31, 2016. For more information about the Reading is The way up Literacy Grants Program, visit www.readingisthewayup.org or send an e-mail to email@example.com.About Reading is The way up® Originally established to help improve the education of California's future leaders, City National in April 2002 launched the multi-faceted Reading is The way up initiative to restock the state's school library system. The program has since been expanded to include all areas where the bank has a presence. Since its inception, the award-winning program has:
- Donated more than 300,000 books to California, Nevada, New York, Nashville, Tennessee, and Atlanta, Georgia school libraries.
- Awarded more than $1 million to teachers at elementary, middle and high schools for creative literacy projects.
- Received the 2005 President's Volunteer Service Award, the 2005 Corporate Philanthropy Award from the Los Angeles Public Library, the 2006 Corporate Award from the Getty House Foundation, the Hugh O'Brien Youth Leadership Corporate Citizen Award, and honored as the 2007 Corporate Visionary Partner by the Wonder of Reading.
- Received the 2013 Innovations Reading Prize Award presented by the National Book Foundation.
- Received the 2013 Outstanding Corporation of the Year Award presented by the Clark County School District-Community Partnership Program in Las Vegas, NV.
- Received the 2013 Angel Light Foundation Award for excellence in community service and educational outreach presented by the Angel Light Academy in Orange County, CA.
On January 22, 2015, City National announced plans to merge with Royal Bank of Canada. The transaction is expected to close later this year, pending regulatory approval and other customary closing conditions.For more information about City National, visit the company's Website at cnb.com.
CONTACT: Media Contact: Paul Stowell, City National Bank, 213.673.7602 firstname.lastname@example.org