The analyst firm lowered its 2015 EPS estimates for the company to $3.59 a share from $3.72 a share due to "concerns about Mead's competitive position in China, the persistence of heavy price discounting in the category, and the negative impact of currency headwinds."
The analysts continued, "We while we expect these issues to send consensus estimates lower near-term, the recent sell-off of the stock off indicates that the market already anticipates the bad news. In addition, there is unappreciated upside to the shares in the event that management acts with a greater sense of urgency to create shareholder value or if a strategic acquirer emerges."
Credit Suisse analysts also lowered its 2016 and 2017 EPS estimates to $3.84 and $4.22 a share from $4.10 and $4.50 a share, respectively.
TheStreet Ratings team rates MEAD JOHNSON NUTRITION CO as a Buy with a ratings score of B-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
We rate MEAD JOHNSON NUTRITION CO (MJN) a BUY. This is driven by a few notable strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its expanding profit margins, good cash flow from operations and notable return on equity. We feel its strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself.
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The gross profit margin for MEAD JOHNSON NUTRITION CO is rather high; currently it is at 67.87%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 15.77% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 71.05% to $182.00 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, MEAD JOHNSON NUTRITION CO has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 9.00%.
- MEAD JOHNSON NUTRITION CO' earnings per share from the most recent quarter came in slightly below the year earlier quarter. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, MEAD JOHNSON NUTRITION CO increased its bottom line by earning $3.54 versus $3.35 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.67 versus $3.54).
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 8.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 7.1%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The change in net income from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Food Products industry average. The net income has decreased by 5.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $171.40 million to $162.90 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: MJN