- MTZ has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $17.9 million.
- MTZ has traded 199,690 shares today.
- MTZ is trading at 2.34 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- MTZ is trading at a new high 3.02% above yesterday's close.
'Strong on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as M&A events, material stock news, analyst upgrades, insider buying, buying from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and momentum traders are piling into a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize. In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in MTZ with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for MTZ NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on MTZ: MasTec, Inc., an infrastructure construction company, provides engineering, building, installation, maintenance, and upgrade services for communications, energy, and utility infrastructure in the United States and internationally. MTZ has a PE ratio of 23. Currently there are 7 analysts that rate MasTec a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 2 rate it a hold. The average volume for MasTec has been 1.2 million shares per day over the past 30 days. MasTec has a market cap of $1.4 billion and is part of the industrial goods sector and materials & construction industry. The stock has a beta of 1.08 and a short float of 9% with 5.56 days to cover. Shares are down 26.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates MasTec as a hold. The company's strongest point has been its a solid financial position based on a variety of debt and liquidity measures that we have looked at. At the same time, however, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself, feeble growth in the company's earnings per share and deteriorating net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 8.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 3.7%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.19 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. Even though the debt-to-equity ratio is weak, MTZ's quick ratio is somewhat strong at 1.33, demonstrating the ability to handle short-term liquidity needs.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. When compared to other companies in the Construction & Engineering industry and the overall market, MASTEC INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- MASTEC INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last two years. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, MASTEC INC reported lower earnings of $1.39 versus $1.74 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 44.2% in earnings ($0.78 versus $1.39).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Construction & Engineering industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 111.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $33.72 million to -$3.70 million.
- You can view the full MasTec Ratings Report.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE.