While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."Triangle Capital Corporation Dividend Yield: 11.80% Triangle Capital Corporation (NYSE: TCAP) shares currently have a dividend yield of 11.80%. Triangle Capital Corporation is a business development company specializing in private equity and mezzanine investments. The company has a P/E ratio of 9.10. The average volume for Triangle Capital Corporation has been 134,400 shares per day over the past 30 days. Triangle Capital Corporation has a market cap of $608.5 million and is part of the financial services industry. Shares are down 10.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates Triangle Capital Corporation as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, expanding profit margins and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself, deteriorating net income and disappointing return on equity. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- TCAP's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 6.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 11.6%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for TRIANGLE CAPITAL CORP is currently very high, coming in at 84.48%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 43.75% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, TRIANGLE CAPITAL CORP underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 30.65%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 57.47% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Despite the heavy decline in its share price, this stock is still more expensive (when compared to its current earnings) than most other companies in its industry.
- You can view the full Triangle Capital Corporation Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 34.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 1.0%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is somewhat low, currently at 0.83, and is less than that of the industry average, implying that there has been a relatively successful effort in the management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.13, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- 36.69% is the gross profit margin for ALLIANCE RESOURCE PTNRS -LP which we consider to be strong. Regardless of ARLP's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, ARLP's net profit margin of 15.68% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 48.73%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 44.52% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $177.26 million or 25.92% when compared to the same quarter last year. In conjunction, when comparing current results to the industry average, ALLIANCE RESOURCE PTNRS -LP has marginally lower results.
- You can view the full Alliance Resource Partners Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 6.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 29.6%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for SOLAR SENIOR CAPITAL LTD is currently very high, coming in at 75.22%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 43.51% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- SOLAR SENIOR CAPITAL LTD has improved earnings per share by 47.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SOLAR SENIOR CAPITAL LTD reported lower earnings of $1.02 versus $1.11 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.34 versus $1.02).
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $0.09 million or 98.16% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite a decrease in cash flow of 98.16%, SOLAR SENIOR CAPITAL LTD is still significantly exceeding the industry average of -425.92%.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, SOLAR SENIOR CAPITAL LTD's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Solar Senior Capital Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.