Specifically, global aluminum demand is expected to increase by 24 million tonnes to 78 million tonnes by 2025, according to Alfredo Barrios, Rio Tinto's (RIO) chief executive for aluminum.
"Demand for our products is clearly healthy. The issue we face is excessive supply," Barrios stated at Metal Bulletin's International Aluminum conference in Vancouver, according to Reuters.
Looking ahead, the aluminum market is expected to stabilize in the next five years.
Based in New York, Alcoa produces and manages primary aluminum, fabricated aluminum, and alumina worldwide.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates ALCOA INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate ALCOA INC (AA) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed, some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, increase in net income and reasonable valuation levels. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including weak operating cash flow, a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself and generally higher debt management risk."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 45.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 1.0%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Metals & Mining industry average. The net income increased by 1.4% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $138.00 million to $140.00 million.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, ALCOA INC has outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for ALCOA INC is rather low; currently it is at 20.93%. Regardless of AA's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year.
- Net operating cash flow has declined marginally to $472.00 million or 8.88% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: AA