- While overall middle market revenue fell 2.2% between 2008 and 2014, revenue rose 22.7% among women-owned businesses and 19.3% among minority-owned businesses.
- During that same period, employment in the middle market grew 4.4%, but surged 37.8% among women-owned firms and 38.7% among minority-owned firms - nearly nine times the average rate.
- Middle market women-owned firms represent just 0.7% of all women-owned enterprises in the U.S., but employ 23% of the workforce accounted for by all women-owned companies and contribute nearly one-third (32%) of revenues accounted for by women-owned companies.
- Similarly, minority-owned middle market firms represent 1.6% of all minority-owned enterprises in the U.S., but employ over one-third (34%) of workers accounted for by all minority-owned businesses and generate 42% of the revenues accounted for by minority-owned businesses.
Women- and Minority-Owned Middle Market Companies Have Room to GrowMost middle market enterprises fall within the lower end of the revenue size spectrum, with more than half (51%) generating revenues between $10 million and $19.9 million. Middle market women-owned and minority-owned companies are smaller than the average middle market firm in terms of revenue generated and in number of employees.
- As of 2014, 61% of women-owned middle market firms generate between $10 million and $19.9 million in revenues, 32% generate between $20 million and $49.9 million, and just 6% generate between $50 million and $1 billion. Additionally, only 7% of women-owned firms employ 500 or more employees - compared to 15% of middle market companies overall.
- Minority-owned middle market businesses are only slightly larger than women-owned firms, with, as of 2014, 56% generating between $10 million and $19.9 million in revenues, 33% between $20 million and $49.9 million, and 11% between $50 million and $1 billion. Looking at employment size, just 9% of minority-owned middle market companies employ 500 or more workers.
- Alaska (13%)
- Virginia (11%)
- Maryland (9%)
- Michigan (9%)
- Hawaii (21%)
- Alaska (19%)
- Virginia (12%)
- New Mexico (11%)
- Maryland (10%)
Study MethodologyThe Middle Market Power Index report is based on an analysis of all of the firms in Dun & Bradstreet's commercial databases of nearly 19 million businesses between 2008 and 2014: the first database, a virtual census of all of the commercially-active businesses in the United States (defined as firms that have obtained a D-U-N-S® number and that sell and receive goods and services and utilize credit transactions in their business); and the second database, their credit scoring archive database, which collects and models business commercial activity and business financial strength. All subsidiary and business establishment data are combined; only enterprise-level data (top of the business family tree, or Ultimate D-U-N-S ® number firms) are reported. Additionally, public sector entities are excluded. About Dun and Bradstreet Dun & Bradstreet (NYSE: DNB) grows the most valuable relationships in business. By uncovering truth and meaning from data, we connect customers with the prospects, suppliers, clients and partners that matter most, and have since 1841. Nearly ninety percent of the Fortune 500, and companies of every size around the world, rely on our data, insights and analytics. For more about Dun & Bradstreet, visit DNB.com. About American Express Global Corporate Payments Through its Global Corporate Payments division, American Express offers a suite of B2B and T&E payment solutions that help organizations streamline processes and transform them into opportunities for savings, control and efficiency. American Express can help your organization increase working capital flexibility and strengthen relationships with suppliers. For more information, visit us at business.americanexpress.com/us. About American Express American Express is a global services company, providing customers with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Learn more at americanexpress.com and connect with us on facebook.com/americanexpress, foursquare.com/americanexpress, linkedin.com/company/american-express, twitter.com/americanexpress, and youtube.com/americanexpress. Key links to products and services: charge and credit cards, business credit cards, Plenti rewards program, travel services, gift cards, prepaid cards, merchant services, corporate card and business travel.