NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Apple (AAPL - Get Report) shares are climbing 0.43% to $113.94 in pre-market trading on Monday after the tech giant said on Sunday that it is working to clean up its iOS App Store following the first attack on its mobile software outlet, Reuters reports.
The security breach was first reported by security firm Palo Alto Networks (PANW - Get Report) , which found the counterfeit version of Apple's app-creating program Xcode. The name of the malware is XcodeGhost.
"XcodeGhost is a very harmful and dangerous malware that has bypassed Apple's code review and made unprecedented attacks on the iOS ecosystem," Palo Alto Networks stated.
Attackers through the malware have the ability to send fake alerts to infected iPhones to get users to reveal data and other private information, Reuters added.
As a result, Apple is taking action, stating, "We've removed the apps from the App Store that we know have been created with this counterfeit software," the company noted.
Overall, the first investigation showed no proof that the malware had a harmful affect on the app users.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates APPLE INC as a Buy with a ratings score of B+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate APPLE INC (AAPL) a BUY. This is driven by a number of strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income, robust revenue growth and notable return on equity. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results. "
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Looking at where the stock is today compared to one year ago, we find that it is not only higher, but it has also clearly outperformed the rise in the S&P 500 over the same period. Although other factors naturally played a role, the company's strong earnings growth was key. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- APPLE INC has improved earnings per share by 44.5% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, APPLE INC increased its bottom line by earning $6.43 versus $5.66 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($9.13 versus $6.43).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has greatly exceeded that of the S&P 500, but is less than that of the Computers & Peripherals industry average. The net income increased by 37.8% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $7,748.00 million to $10,677.00 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 36.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 32.5%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. When compared to other companies in the Computers & Peripherals industry and the overall market, APPLE INC's return on equity exceeds that of the industry average and significantly exceeds that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: AAPL