NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- A number of partnerships and acquisitions drove social media conversation this week. Positive news for job seekers this week as well -- UPS (UPS - Get Report) announced plans to hire up to 95,000 people for the holiday season and Kohl's (KSS - Get Report) plans to hire 69,000 associates to aid with shopping's busiest season.
Here's our weekly round-up of the most discussed stocks on Twitter and traditional media channels -- stock-related news that saw the highest levels of engagement among market experts and valid sources.
- News Corporation (NWS - Get Report) (NWSA - Get Report) : News Corp announced Wednesday that it will buy social video platform Unruly for $176 million to increase video ad views.
- iShares China Large-Cap ETF (FXI - Get Report) : Social media was buzzing about the iShares China Large-Cap ETF this week after Citi's chief economist Willem Buiter warned of a possible global recession due to emerging markets.
- CVS Corporation (CVS - Get Report) : CVS confirmed that its photo Web site had been hacked in a July attack. Investigators were able to make this confirmation while also assuring that the CVS.com main site was not affected.
- Citigroup (C - Get Report) : An article from Zerohedge.com about Citigroup was circulated heavily this week. The article reports on allegations from former employees that Citi had been leaking central bank trading info to certain clients.
- Accenture plc. (ACN - Get Report) : Accenture made news this week with its acquisition of cloud services firm Cloud Sherpas. The move aims to expand Accenture's portfolio of cloud solutions programs.
- Majesco Entertainment (COOL) : Majesco Entertainment on Tuesday released its quarterly earnings report. The company reported an operating loss of approximately $0.07 million compared to a loss of $2.3 million for the same period in 2014.
- American Airlines (AAL) : Social media had a lot to say about American Airlines Thursday after a computer glitch grounded morning flights at Miami, Dallas and O'Hare airports. Connectivity issues were resolved and flights resumed mid-afternoon.
- Starz (STRZA) : A Fortune Magazine interview with Starz CEO Chris Albrecht was widely shared across social this week. The interview discusses Starz' rise to the second most distributed premium network in the U.S. as well as rumors of a potential merger with AMC (AMC - Get Report) .
- SunPower Corporation (SPWR - Get Report) : SunPower Corporation was widely talked about on social media after an announcement of a 20-year power purchase agreement with Sulphur Springs Valley Electric Cooperative. The agreement calls for SunPower to build a 20-megawatt solar power plant in Cochise County, Ariz.
- Shopify (SHOP - Get Report) : Facebook (FB - Get Report) expanded ties with Shopify this week with the announcement of the Shopify Facebook Store. The new feature will allow merchants to sell products directly from their Facebook pages.
The above ten stocks have been ranked according to proprietary analysis by Contix, a social media event detection platform exclusively for traders.