- SEMI has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $3.6 million.
- SEMI has traded 61,461 shares today.
- SEMI is trading at 2.98 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- SEMI is trading at a new high 3.14% above yesterday's close.
'Strong on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as M&A events, material stock news, analyst upgrades, insider buying, buying from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and momentum traders are piling into a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize. In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in SEMI with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for SEMI NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on SEMI: SunEdison Semiconductor Limited develops, manufactures, and sells silicon wafers for the semiconductor industry in the United States and internationally. Currently there are 2 analysts that rate SunEdison Semiconductor a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold. The average volume for SunEdison Semiconductor has been 618,200 shares per day over the past 30 days. SunEdison Semiconductor has a market cap of $517.1 million and is part of the technology sector and electronics industry. Shares are down 33.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates SunEdison Semiconductor as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, poor profit margins, generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and feeble growth in its earnings per share. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 208.4% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $14.30 million to -$15.50 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry and the overall market, SUNEDISON SEMICONDUCTOR LTD's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for SUNEDISON SEMICONDUCTOR LTD is rather low; currently it is at 24.73%. Regardless of SEMI's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, SEMI's net profit margin of -7.47% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 26.99%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 205.71% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- SUNEDISON SEMICONDUCTOR LTD has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past year. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SUNEDISON SEMICONDUCTOR LTD reported poor results of -$2.17 versus -$0.84 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$1.03 versus -$2.17).
- You can view the full SunEdison Semiconductor Ratings Report.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE.