- Las Vegas again reigns supreme as the number one place to spend Labor Day. Airfare decreased 5 percent on average compared to last year.
- Orlando may offer the best opportunity for a budget-stretching getaway, with airfare down 22 percent - the biggest decrease in the top 10 list - and hotel prices relatively flat.
- Cancun rose in popularity from the number six destination last year to number four in 2015. With airfare and hotel down 13 percent and 3 percent respectively, a visit to Mexico may be just the ticket for those seeking a laid-back international retreat on a budget.
|Orbitz.com Top 10 Labor Day Destinations 2015 1|
|Rank||Destination||Average Daily Hotel Rate 2015||Average Daily Hotel Rate 2014||YOY Change||Average Airfare 2015||Average Airfare 2014||YOY Change|
|1||Las Vegas, Nev.||$||131||$||123||7||%||$||327||$||344||-5||%|
|2||Orlando/Lake Buena Vista, Fla.||$||146||$||144||1||%||$||263||$||321||-22||%|
|5||New York, N.Y.||$||286||$||286||Flat||$||378||$||436||-13||%|
|6||Punta Cana, Mexico||$||199||$||210||-5||%||$||561||$||546||3||%|
|7||San Diego, Calif.||$||186||$||176||6||%||$||312||$||312||Flat|
|10||Miami Beach, Fla.||$||179||$||179||Flat||$||338||$||403||-16||%|
- Amount spent - Consumers spent, on average, $163 per night for hotels and $492 per airline ticket this summer. Airfare costs decreased by seven percent, while hotel prices remained flat year-over-year.
- Most popular states - Nevada, Florida and California were the three most traveled-to states in the U.S. Travelers headed to Las Vegas put the state at the head of the list, beating out the more populous Florida and California.
- Europe! But also Mexico - Travel analysts and Orbitz editors predicted this would be the summer of Europe due to the dollar's strong performance against the Euro. While Europe was popular among international travelers, Mexico maintained its number one spot year-over-year, followed by the Caribbean and then Europe. Cancun boosted Mexico to the top spot with Dominican Republic and London helping move the Caribbean and Europe into the top three.
- Going solo - 80 percent traveled with two or more companions for their summer trips. Although only 20 percent traveled alone this summer, the number of solo travelers was up five percent year-over-year.
- Bigger purchases, smaller screens - Consumers were increasingly comfortable with making bigger purchases on smaller screens. Vacation package bookings made on smartphones were up 79 percent for summer 2015 versus summer 2014. The advance purchase window of packages being booked on a mobile device also increased, with customers booking nearly two months in advance.
- Disney reigned - Vacation activities are just as important as the destination. Theme park tickets, tours/sightseeing and shows were the most booked activities this summer, with Disney World in Orlando taking the number one spot. The Michael Jackson "One" Show in Las Vegas and the Chichen Itza Ruins day tour in Mexico were also popular add-ons to summer vacations.
About Orbitz WorldwideOrbitz Worldwide (NYSE:OWW) is a global online travel company using technology to transform the way consumers around the world plan and purchase travel. Orbitz Worldwide operates the consumer travel planning sites Orbitz (orbitz.com), ebookers (ebookers.com), HotelClub (hotelclub.com) and CheapTickets (cheaptickets.com). Also within the Orbitz Worldwide family, Orbitz Partner Network (orbitzpartnernetwork.com) delivers private label travel technology solutions to a broad range of partners including some of the world's largest airlines, bank loyalty programs and travel agencies, and Orbitz for Business (orbitzforbusiness.com) delivers managed travel solutions for companies of all sizes. Orbitz Worldwide makes investor relations information available at investors.orbitz.com.
Media Contact: Marita Hudson Thomasfirstname.lastname@example.org