Syzmanoski outlined the benefits of SAMI in his winning presentation. The initiative would:
- Ensure that limited federal funding is spent as efficiently as possible, since awards are proportional to students' educational progress
- Enable year-round Pell grant eligibility, rewarding students who want to accelerate their education
- Ensure more equitable distribution of federal student aid
- Correlate students' borrowing to their educational progress
- Offer flexibility, facilitating the increasingly varied ways in which students attend college: year-round, part-time, onsite, online, etc.
- Help students and their families understand financial aid, enabling them to better manage grants and loans
- Simplify federal student aid, reducing administrative burden and increasing precision