While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy."LaSalle Hotel Properties Dividend Yield: 5.60% LaSalle Hotel Properties (NYSE: LHO) shares currently have a dividend yield of 5.60%. LaSalle Hotel Properties, a real estate investment trust (REIT), engages in the purchase, ownership, redevelopment, and leasing of primarily upscale and luxury full-service hotels in convention, resort, and urban business markets in the United States. The company has a P/E ratio of 19.66. The average volume for LaSalle Hotel Properties has been 1,231,200 shares per day over the past 30 days. LaSalle Hotel Properties has a market cap of $3.6 billion and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are down 21.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates LaSalle Hotel Properties as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, reasonable valuation levels, good cash flow from operations and notable return on equity. We feel its strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- LHO's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 7.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 9.0%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $111.86 million or 26.27% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -3.77%.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, LASALLE HOTEL PROPERTIES's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- LASALLE HOTEL PROPERTIES's earnings per share declined by 40.2% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, LASALLE HOTEL PROPERTIES increased its bottom line by earning $1.88 versus $0.73 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 32.2% in earnings ($1.28 versus $1.88).
- You can view the full LaSalle Hotel Properties Ratings Report.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has greatly exceeded that of the S&P 500, but is less than that of the Household Durables industry average. The net income increased by 30.3% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $47.60 million to $62.00 million.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Household Durables industry and the overall market, TUPPERWARE BRANDS CORP's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- TUPPERWARE BRANDS CORP has improved earnings per share by 32.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, TUPPERWARE BRANDS CORP reported lower earnings of $4.21 versus $5.18 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($4.49 versus $4.21).
- The gross profit margin for TUPPERWARE BRANDS CORP is rather high; currently it is at 67.89%. Regardless of TUP's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, TUP's net profit margin of 10.52% compares favorably to the industry average.
- TUP, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 13.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 12.7%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full Tupperware Brands Ratings Report.
- OHI's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 7.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 62.3%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- 37.56% is the gross profit margin for OMEGA HEALTHCARE INVS INC which we consider to be strong. Despite the high profit margin, it has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, OHI's net profit margin of 20.95% is significantly lower than the industry average.
- In its most recent trading session, OHI has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- OMEGA HEALTHCARE INVS INC's earnings per share declined by 40.5% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, OMEGA HEALTHCARE INVS INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.74 versus $1.46 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 4.3% in earnings ($1.67 versus $1.74).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed compared to the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry average, but is greater than that of the S&P 500. The net income has decreased by 11.5% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $46.82 million to $41.43 million.
- You can view the full Omega Healthcare Investors Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.