- CLR has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $190.1 million.
- CLR has traded 631,879 shares today.
- CLR is trading at 4.46 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- CLR is trading at a new high 3.00% above yesterday's close.
'Strong on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as M&A events, material stock news, analyst upgrades, insider buying, buying from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and momentum traders are piling into a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize. In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in CLR with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for CLR NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on CLR: Continental Resources, Inc. explores, develops, and produces crude oil and natural gas properties in the north, south, and east regions of the United States. CLR has a PE ratio of 19. Currently there are 9 analysts that rate Continental Resources a buy, 2 analysts rate it a sell, and 10 rate it a hold. The average volume for Continental Resources has been 3.3 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Continental has a market cap of $11.9 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. The stock has a beta of 0.69 and a short float of 18% with 2.89 days to cover. Shares are down 9.8% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Continental Resources as a hold. Among the primary strengths of the company is its expanding profit margins over time. At the same time, however, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, generally higher debt management risk and disappointing return on equity. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 37.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 35.7%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for CONTINENTAL RESOURCES INC is rather high; currently it is at 65.60%. Despite the high profit margin, it has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, CLR's net profit margin of -21.09% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- CONTINENTAL RESOURCES INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CONTINENTAL RESOURCES INC increased its bottom line by earning $2.64 versus $2.07 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 96.7% in earnings ($0.09 versus $2.64).
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.40 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. To add to this, CLR has a quick ratio of 0.63, this demonstrates the lack of ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. In comparison to the other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, CONTINENTAL RESOURCES INC's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Continental Resources Ratings Report.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE.