While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."Guess Dividend Yield: 4.10% Guess (NYSE: GES) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.10%. Guess , Inc. designs, markets, distributes, and licenses lifestyle collections of contemporary apparel and accessories for men, women, and children that reflect the American lifestyle and European fashion sensibilities. The company has a P/E ratio of 18.55. The average volume for Guess has been 1,404,100 shares per day over the past 30 days. Guess has a market cap of $1.9 billion and is part of the retail industry. Shares are up 1.8% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates Guess as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in net income, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and reasonable valuation levels. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including disappointing return on equity, a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself and poor profit margins. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Specialty Retail industry. The net income increased by 259.0% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$2.10 million to $3.34 million.
- GES's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.01 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. To add to this, GES has a quick ratio of 2.30, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- GES, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 8.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 8.8%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- GES has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 17.23% from its price level of one year ago. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. In comparison to the other companies in the Specialty Retail industry and the overall market, GUESS INC's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Guess Ratings Report.
- RGC's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 6.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 12.0%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Media industry. The net income increased by 58.0% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $33.80 million to $53.40 million.
- In its most recent trading session, RGC has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors.
- REGAL ENTERTAINMENT GROUP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, REGAL ENTERTAINMENT GROUP reported lower earnings of $0.68 versus $1.00 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.16 versus $0.68).
- The gross profit margin for REGAL ENTERTAINMENT GROUP is rather low; currently it is at 22.30%. Regardless of RGC's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 6.18% trails the industry average.
- You can view the full Regal Entertainment Group Ratings Report.
- 35.79% is the gross profit margin for APOLLO GLOBAL MANAGEMENT LLC which we consider to be strong. Regardless of APO's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, APO's net profit margin of 16.04% compares favorably to the industry average.
- The revenue fell significantly faster than the industry average of 5.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 38.5%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- APOLLO GLOBAL MANAGEMENT LLC's earnings per share declined by 9.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, APOLLO GLOBAL MANAGEMENT LLC reported lower earnings of $0.64 versus $3.97 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.53 versus $0.64).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry average. The net income has decreased by 21.3% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $71.67 million to $56.43 million.
- Reflecting the weaknesses we have cited, including the decline in the company's earnings per share, APO has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 23.08% from its price level of one year ago. Looking ahead, other than the push or pull of the broad market, we do not see anything in the company's numbers that may help reverse the decline experienced over the past 12 months. Despite the past decline, the stock is still selling for more than most others in its industry.
- You can view the full Apollo Global Management Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.